Know and understand yourself… Self-Awareness
In today’s world, people spend more time judging others, rather than spending time in knowing and understanding ourselves. So today let us spend good 10 minutes reading this post which will enable you to know and understand yourself.
Dictionary Meaning: conscious knowledge of one’s own character and feelings.
Self-awareness is the ability to take an honest look at our life without any attachment to it being right or wrong, good or bad.
Self-awareness is our capacity to stand apart from ourselves and examine our thinking, our motives, our history, our scripts, our actions, and our habits and tendencies. – Stephen Covey
What we should know and understand about ourselves:
- What am I good or bad at?
- and What makes me tired or energized?
- How much sleep do I need?
- What is the most important thing in my life?
- What makes me afraid?
- Who are the most important people in my life?
- What stresses me out and what relaxes me?
- and what makes me sad; happy or angry?
- What’s my definition of success?
- and what’s my definition of happiness?
- What type of worker am I?
- What type of person do I want to be?
- How do I want others to see me?
- What type of friend do I want to be?
- What do I think about myself?
Benefits of being self-aware or knowing and understanding ourselves:
Being self-aware is really an awesome place to be, and there are multiple benefits of knowing and understanding ourselve. Some of the benefits are:
- It helps you live a happier, more fulfilling, and genuine life.
- You will be able to act consciously instead of reacting to people and events.
- The ability to genuinely love yourself.
- Being genuinely happy rather than pretending you are.
- Greater depth of experience and enjoyment of life.
- You start to understand your subconscious and why you think the way you think.
- You will be able to control the negative thoughts and will think more positively.
- The ability to make your dreams come true.
- You will become solution-oriented rather than problems oriented.
- You will become more honest with yourself and others.
- Being the real you.
- You become a much nicer person when you become self-aware
- Living courageously and without limits.
- You don’t suffer from regrets.
- You know what you want and when you know what you want you won’t be a frustrated person.
- Your decision making will improve.
- You will have inner peace.
So till now we have understood, what is self-awareness, what are the things we should know about ourselves and the benefits of being self-aware. Now the bigger question arises is how to become Self-aware. We will discuss about that in the next post in length.
Till then you can read my other post on the Self Series, below are the links: