The role of a manager isn’t always smooth sailing. Whereas at the beginning of your career it’s likely that you were purely responsible for your work alone, it’s is now your duty to inspire, lead and motivate your team to accomplish a set of goals for the organization. That is where this most important skill for success comes in picture “People Management”.
Quotes on People Management
Clients do not come first. Employees come first. If you take care of your employees, they will take care of clients. –Richard Branson
A leader is one who knows the way, goes the way and shows the way. — John C. Maxwell
The function of leadership is to produce more leaders, not more followers. –Ralph Nader
Ways to practice People Management:
Understand other people’s point of view:
Many of Sales person fail because they want to sale their product instead of making Customers to buy the product. So the only way to influence people is to talk about what they want and show them how to get it.
Only thing you can do with argument is to avoid it.
90% of the arguments ends with each of the person more firmly convinced than ever that he is absolutely right.
Better give your path to a dog than be bitten by him in contesting for the right.
So what is the Solution, the Solution is “Discussion”. Because Argument is adverse, but Discussion is advantageous; because arguments are to find out WHO is rights whereas discussion is to find out WHAT is right.
Admit your mistake:
“A man must be big enough to admit his mistakes, smart enough to profit from them, and strong enough to correct them.” – John C. Maxwell.
All of us make mistakes—it is part of learning and growing. The only people who do not make mistakes are the ones who never try anything new. As a leader it is also a mistake to think that you need to have all the right answers all the time. Trying to be right all the time is stressful, slows progress and causes procrastination.
Ask Questions instead of giving orders:
A] This is powerful strategy for dealing with people. Not only does this one tactic help to empower the other person, but it does so in a way that does not make me come off as bossy. So instead of telling someone to go draft a letter than says such-and-such, you might instead ask them “what do you think of drafting a letter that says this and that?”
B] Simple example in everyday life could be
- Bring that note book v/s Can you please bring that note book for me.
- Open the door now vs Can you please open the door.
- Come with me to the market vs Will you come with me to the market.
Importance of Body Language, Gestures and Postures for people management:
- Always Smile – Don’t underestimate the power of smile
- Keep Eye Contact
- Call people by their name: Everybody want to be called by their name, when you call them by their name to communicate, you have already won half battle.
- Listen carefully:
- One of the biggest complaints of employees everywhere is that they don’t feel heard. They don’t feel as though they have the ability to express their opinion or positively make a change in the organization. When they speak up, they feel ignored, and that makes them unhappy and unmotivated.
- Put your phone away
Make the other person feel important :
Ways to make people feel important
- Accept people the way they are.
- Show your sincere appreciation for others.
- The most welcomed people in every situation are those who are generally agreeable and positive with others.
- In business as well as personal relationships, the most harmful force of all is destructive criticism. It lowers a person’s self-esteem, makes him feel angry and defensive, and causes him to dislike you.
- Questions and praise alone fall short if they are not accompanied by genuine caring. What do you do when you ask a question and discover a need? Sometimes it takes effort to truly engage with someone at the point of need.
Be More Transparent:
Transparency shows your integrity as a leader, and builds trust with the individual members of your team. If you lie about something, or withhold information, you could jeopardize your relationships and the respect you command as a leader.
Praising and Rewards is important for People Management:
To be a good leader, you have to give feedback to your employees, especially praise and rewards. However, Avoid vague or broad language. Be specific in what you appreciate. Don’t say “You’re awesome”, say “I appreciate that you’re so punctual.
Example of specific praise:-
I really appreciate you taking the time to help us get started on our year-end inventory.
Thanks for your valuable input in web designing project.
Learn How to Effectively Communicate with Anyone:
Principals of effective communication:-
- Clarity About the purpose
- Compose your message with care
- Consistent with the purpose of communication
- Compose your message to attract attention
- Know the Receiver
- Select mode of communication with care
- Provide for feedback
- Act promptly on receiving responses.
Manage conflict an important step for People Management:
a. When there is conflict in the workplace, it should not be ignored. As turning a blind eye could lead to a negative atmosphere, which could have implications for staff productivity and communication among the team may suffer. When an issue arises it’s important that it is addressed straight away before it builds.
b. “If you get into a fight with someone, try not to think of it as you vs. them rather, approach it as you two vs. the issue.”
Know your team’s strength and weaknesses and choose a team member for particular task based on his personal Strengths and weaknesses.
- Invest time in teaching
- Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough so they don’t want to. — Richard Branson
- Make your expectations clear
- Give and receive feedback
- Give proper directions: Directions are more important than speed in Life.
- We are so busy looking at the Speedometers, that we forget the “Milestones”..!!
- If we are running fast, but running in a wrong direction we will reach at wrong place faster.
If we understand and practice these simple principles in our life we can definitely make difference is our life and influence people around us.
Also read You need to be mentally strong to do these things
Read more about Leadership at https://prospursity.com/2021/05/22/effective-leadership/
12 thoughts on “People Management – a must have skill for success”
Thanks for your appreciation
You deserve it and more.
I will create post … But probably over weekend….
That’s okay. Take your time and congratulations!
hi… I have created post please have a look
I read it. It was great. 👍
Thank you so much…