In this current pandemic situation, it is very important for all of us to improve our emotional resiliency. Emotional Resiliency will not only help in surviving this situation but also help us in thriving in this situation. So today let us understand what is resilience, its attributes and our own resiliency score.
Meaning of Resilience:
Dictionary meaning of resilience:
The capacity to recover quickly from difficulties; toughness. or
The ability of a substance or object to spring back into shape; elasticity.
Lets us understand meaning of resilience further:
Resilience is the process of adapting well,
in the face of adversity,
significant sources of stress such as family and
serious health problems or
It means, “Bouncing back” from difficult experiences. Also
It means comeback from a Setback.
In other words, we are talking about our ability to handle life, in all its unpredictable difficult situation, without falling off, or hurting ourselves in the process.
Few Quotes to Understand Resilience in further detail:
Life doesn’t get easier or more forgiving; we get stronger and more resilient.
It’s your reaction to adversity, not adversity itself that determines how your life’s story will develop.
Resilience is very different than being numb. Resilience means you experience, you feel, you fail, you hurt, you fall. But, you keep going.
― Yasmin Mogahed
In conclusion, That which does not kill us makes us stronger.
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Let us Understand Resilience and attributes of Resilient people:
- They not only maintain a positive outlook, but also envision brighter days ahead.
- Resilient people have solid purpose or goals in life, and a desire to achieve the same.
- Resilient people are empathetic and compassionate however,
- They don’t waste time worrying what others think of them.
- Above all, People with emotional awareness understand what they’re feeling and why. Moreover,
- They also understand the feelings of others better because they are more in touch with their own inner life.
- Resilient people also see the positives in most situations and believe in their strength.
- Resilient people never think of themselves as victims. Above all they focus their time and energy on changing the things that they have control over.
Know your Resiliency Score:
Instructions for the test:
- Read the question carefully and,
- Answer the question with honesty.
- Answer according to your first choice as soon as you read the question.
- Rate yourself from 1 to 5 (1 = strongly disagree; 5 = strongly agree)
- Keep adding points for each question to know your resiliency score.
I often feel like I have control over what happens to me.
I do not worry about issues that I have no control over.
Feelings of anger and discouragement do not last long.
I can overcome painful childhood memories and lessen their impact on my behavior.
I am emotionally very strong.
When one attempt fails, I do not get discouraged and I learn from it and change my approach next time.
I am able to discuss my job and its challenges with people outside of work, such as family members and close friends.
Above all, I am normally optimistic and see difficulties as opportunities.
When going through a difficult period, I have a tendency to focus on the good things in my life that help me blossom.
I try to control events rather than being a victim of circumstances.
Interpretation of the score:
- Less than 20: Low Resilience
- 21 – 30: Some Resilience
- 31 – 40: Adequate Resilience
- 41 – 50: High Resilience
Conclusion and Key Notes:
So far we have understood what Resilience means and what are the attributes of Resilience people. We also know where are we in terms of our resiliency score.
However, you need not have to worry if you have scored low in the test, because you can build and improve your resiliency score. You can learn this skill and how you can learn this, we will discuss that in my next post.
Till then thanks and you can read below post to know yourself better.